CarrieVision

Carrie Underwood Official News

Monday, June 6, 2011

Cherie Oakley - Battle Round Thoughts

Read about Cherie Oakley's thoughts immediately following the Battle Rounds on NBC's "The Voice"


Battle Rounds
By Cherie Oakley on June 1, 2011 5:00 AM
Yesterday was very emotional. I got up and got ready early. Before I knew it, the battle rounds were here. Just like that, all this waiting, all this work and boom there it is. I wonder if everyone likes the fact that Lily and I get along or not. I think it would be more interesting if we didn't so it would be more like a "fight to the death" kinda thing, but that's just not the case. I adore Lily. I've had a great time working with her and feel fortunate to be paired with her.

After waiting a few hours it was time to head backstage. I got a strange feeling, like I knew this wasn't going to be my time. It didn't matter how hard I had worked or how bad I wanted it, I knew in my gut I wasn't meant to win. I had felt this feeling earlier in the week but tried to ignore it as the battle round got closer. In order to go out and perform well you have to give yourself the mental "pep-talks", but no matter how many times I tried to convince myself I was going to go out there and win, my gut knew differently.

I stood there and saw Reba McEntire sitting next to Blake. Looking at her sitting there with her bright red hair and smile across her face I couldn't believe how funny God is. I requested to meet Reba when she recorded a song I had written called "Turn On The Radio". I have wanted to meet her for years, but it just never worked out. Now here I was, and not only was I going to get to meet her, I was going to get to perform in front of her ... It was so surreal. As I walked on stage, Reba recognized me and mouthed the words, "Cherie, Oh my gosh!!!" I was so giddy and then the song started. It was crazy! I had a ball performing with Lily. I wasn't concerned about anything except having a blast up on that stage and soaking in every moment of it. When our performance was over I was just thrilled to stand in front of Reba and FINALLY get to meet her. She told the whole audience about how I wrote her song and that we've never gotten to meet ... It was the moment of a lifetime. Like a dream!

>> Read more

No comments: